Sugar-Cookie Christmas Tree Cutouts
Martha Stewart Living, December 2006
- Yield Makes about 2 dozen
- 2 cups sifted all-purpose flour, plus more for work surface
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- <u>Royal Icing</u>
- White nonpareils, for sprinkling
- Sift flour, baking powder, and salt into a bowl. Put butter and sugar into the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Mix on medium-high speed until pale and fluffy. Mix in egg and vanilla. Reduce speed to low; gradually mix in flour mixture. Wrap in plastic; refrigerate 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 325. Transfer dough to a lightly floured work surface. Roll out to a generous 1/8 inch thick. Using a tree-shape cookie cutter, cut out cookies, and space 2 inches apart on parchment-lined baking sheets. Reroll scraps, and cut out. Refrigerate until firm, about 15 minutes.
- Bake until golden, 12 to 15 minutes. Let cool completely on sheets on wire racks. Drizzle cookies with icing; sprinkle with nonpareils. Let set.
Cookies can be stored in airtight containers at room temperature up to 1 week.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.