Raspberry-Orange Zest Jam
Martha Stewart Living, July 2006
- 3 pounds fresh raspberries
- 4 1/2 cups sugar
- 4 1/2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- Pinch of coarse salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons finely grated orange zest
- Place a few small plates in the freezer. Stir berries, sugar, lemon juice, salt, and 1/2 teaspoon zest in a large, heavy stockpot. Bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve sugar and mashing lightly with a potato masher. Skim foam from surface. Cook, stirring more frequently as jam thickens, until it has the consistency of very loose jelly, 8 to 9 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Remove a plate from freezer; drop a spoonful of jam on it. Return to freezer for 1 to 2 minutes; nudge edge of jam with a finger. It should hold its shape. If jam is too thin and spreads, return it to a boil, testing every minute, until done.
- Strain about half of the jam; discard seeds. Return strained jam to pot; stir in remaining teaspoon zest. Return to a boil. Remove from heat. Spoon hot jam into hot sterilized jars; cover immediately with sterilized lids.
on how to sterilize jars.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.