Egi's Bolognese Sauce
Martha Stewart Living, November 2005
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small carrot, peeled and grated (about 3/4 cup)
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 large red onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1/3 pound ground beef
- 1/4 pound ground pork
- 2 cups canned peeled whole tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream, (optional)
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add carrots, celery, and onion; cook for 2 minutes. Add beef and pork; cook, stirring occasionally, until meat is browned, 15 to 20 minutes. Add tomatoes, tomato paste, and 1/4 cup water; season with salt and pepper. Cook, covered, over low heat, stirring occasionally, for 1 hour. Remove from heat; stir in heavy cream, if desired. Serve immediately or store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.