We garnished these sophisticated desserts, which are very easy to prepare, with chocolate shavings. To make your own garnish, use a knife or vegetable peeler to scrape a 4-ounce bar of semisweet or bittersweet chocolate into thin strips.
Photography: RICHARD GERHARD JUNG
Martha Stewart Living, January 2003
- Prep Time 15 minutes
- Total Time 45 minutes
- Serves 4
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 1/2 cups strong espresso, cooled
- 3 tablespoons brandy (optional)
- 8 store-bought ladyfingers (about 4 ounces)
- 1 pint ice cream or gelato
- Whisk cream in a medium bowl until stiff peaks form; cover with plastic wrap, and place in refrigerator until ready to serve.
- Combine espresso and brandy, if using, in a medium bowl. Break 4 ladyfingers in half; dip into espresso mixture until soaked but not falling apart, several seconds. Arrange two halves in a layer at the bottom of each parfait glass. Top with a scoop of ice cream. Repeat with another layer of soaked ladyfingers, and top with a scoop of ice cream. Garnish each glass with a dollop of whipped cream and a sprinkling of chocolate shavings, if desired. Serve immediately.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.