Linguine with Spicy Clam Sauce
Martha Stewart Living, September 1996
- 1 pound linguine
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more to taste
- 1 tablespoon salt, plus more to taste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small clove garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 cup unsalted clam juice
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 2 1/2 pounds Manila clams, scrubbed (littlenecks can be substituted)
- 2 tablespoons capers, rinsed
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon red-pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup loosely packed fresh flat-leaf parsley, coarsely chopped
- Heat oil in a deep saute pan over medium heat. Add garlic, and cook until just golden, 1 to 2 minutes. Add 1/4 teaspoon pepper and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil; add pasta and 2 1/2 teaspoons salt. Cook until al dente; drain, and set aside.
- Meanwhile, add clam juice and wine to saute pan, and cook until liquid is reduced by a third, 3 to 5 minutes. Add clams, capers, and red-pepper flakes; cover, and cook until clams open, 10 to 12 minutes; discard unopened clams. Whisk in butter and parsley. Toss with pasta. Season with salt and pepper, and serve.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.