Give your child's favorite dishes new names and shapes especially for the day: sandwiches cut like starfish, fish-shaped Parmesan crackers, and an angel food cake that looks like a sand sculpture.
Martha Stewart Kids, Summer 2001
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 pound cod fillet, cut into 1/2-inch thick sticks
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Tartar Sauce (http://www.marthastewart.com/282074/tartar-sauce)
- In a shallow dish, beat together the eggs and milk. Pour the bread crumbs and flour onto two separate plates. Sprinkle fish sticks with salt and pepper. Dredge fish sticks in flour and dip in the egg mixture. Then transfer fish sticks to bread crumbs, covering fish completely and pressing lightly to adhere. Place each fish stick on a wire rack when coated.
- Heat 3 tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Arrange half the fish sticks in a single layer without crowding; cook until golden brown, about 1 to 2 minutes on each side. Remove fish sticks from skillet, and transfer to a serving dish. Wipe out pan and repeat with remaining oil and fish. Serve fish sticks, hot or at room temperature, with tartar sauce.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.