Poached Chicken and Vegetables (Poule Au Pot)
This is a low-fat version of the classic French dish in which chicken and vegetables are served in bowls with their flavorful stock.
Photography: James Merrell
Martha Stewart Living, March 2001
For The Stock
- 4 sprigs fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 cloves
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 carrot, cut into 4 pieces
- 1 stalk celery, cut into 4 pieces
- 1 onion, peeled and quartered
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 2 fifteen-ounce cans low-sodium chicken stock, or homemade, skimmed of fat
- 3 sixteen-ounce chicken breasts on the bone, split, skin removed
- 4 ounces button mushrooms, cut in half
- 8 ounces small red potatoes, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 4 ounces white or green asparagus, stems peeled, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 carrot, peeled, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 stalk celery, peeled, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 4 ounces pearl onions, peeled
- 8 ounces baby turnips, peeled, or medium turnips, peeled and cut into wedges
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coarse salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Wrap parsley, thyme, peppercorns, bay leaves, and cloves in a piece of cheesecloth; tie with kitchen twine. Heat oil in a stockpot over medium-low heat. Add carrot, celery, and onion; cook, stirring occasionally, until softened and just starting to brown, 4 to 5 minutes. Add wine; cook until liquid has evaporated, 5 to 6 minutes. Add stock, herb bundle, and 4 cups water. Bring to a boil; reduce to gentle simmer. Cover; cook 30 minutes.
- Strain stock through a fine-mesh strainer; discard vegetables; return stock to stockpot. Bring to a simmer. Add chicken, mushrooms, potatoes, asparagus, carrot, celery, onions, and turnips. Simmer gently over medium heat until chicken is cooked through, skimming occasionally, 30 to 40 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, and serve immediately.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.