Marinated Baby Artichokes
Martha Stewart Living, August 2006
- 2 lemons
- 10 baby artichokes, or 6 small artichokes
- 6 garlic cloves, skins split but left intact
- 1/2 cup Kalamata olives, halved and pitted
- 4 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for filling jar
- Sea salt flakes, and freshly ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Prepare an ice-water bath; add juice of 1 lemon. Trim stems of artichokes, leaving 1 inch intact. Remove tough outer leaves, and trim sharp tips of remaining leaves with scissors. Halve baby artichokes lengthwise, or quarter small artichokes; scoop out fuzzy chokes, and discard. Add prepared artichokes to lemon water as you work.
- Arrange artichokes in a nonreactive 12-by-16-inch baking dish. Using a vegetable peeler, peel 4 strips of zest from remaining lemon, and add to baking dish. Add garlic, olives, and 2 rosemary sprigs. Squeeze juice from zested lemon over artichokes. Drizzle with oil, and season with salt and pepper. Toss to combine. Cover dish with parchment paper, then foil. Bake 30 minutes. Uncover; stir, and cook until tender and browned in places, about 10 minutes. Serve the artichokes as is, or continue to step 3.
- Let artichokes cool completely. Transfer contents of baking dish to a sterilized, dry 1-quart jar; add remaining 2 rosemary sprigs. Add enough oil to cover artichokes. Place a round of waxed paper on surface. Artichokes can be stored on the top shelf of the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks. Let stand at room temperature 1 hour before serving.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.