Martha Stewart Living, October 2005
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coarse salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/4 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted, plus more for dusting
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup whole raw almonds, toasted and finely ground in a food processor
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl; set aside.
- Put butter and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Mix on medium speed until pale and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Mix in egg and extracts. Reduce speed to low. Mix in flour mixture and almonds until just combined. Wrap dough in plastic; refrigerate until firm, about 30 minutes.
- Roll 1 tablespoon of dough into a 4-inch log; gently shape into a horseshoe. Repeat with remaining dough. Transfer to baking sheets lined with parchment.
- Bake cookies (rotating sheets halfway through) until pale golden, about 20 minutes. Transfer cookies to wire racks using a spatula; let cool completely. Transfer to waxed paper. Sift sugar over cookies. Cookies can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature 2 to 3 days.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.