Martha Stewart Living, May 1996
- 1 1/2 cups long-grain rice
- 2 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium red onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 pound chicken livers, cleaned and finely chopped
- 2 scallions, trimmed, white and green parts, cut crosswise into 1/8-inch pieces
- 2 stalks celery, including leafy greens, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup finely chopped green bell pepper
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano, or 2 tablespoons dried
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeds and ribs removed, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Bring 3 cups water to a boil in a saucepan. Stir in rice, 1 teaspoon salt, and butter. Cover, reduce heat to low, and cook 15 to 17 minutes, until water is absorbed. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions and garlic; reduce heat to medium. Cook, stirring occasionally, until brown, about 10 minutes. Add chicken livers; cook, stirring, 5 minutes. Add rice and all remaining ingredients. Cook, tossing and stirring, until hot, 2 to 3 minutes. Serve immediately.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.