Chunky Ginger Ice Cream
Martha Stewart Living, July/August 1996
- 1 cup milk
- 3 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- Pinch of salt
- 6 large egg yolks
- 1/3 cup finely chopped candied ginger, plus more for garnish
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- Bring milk, cream, 1/2 cup sugar, fresh ginger, and salt to a gentle boil over medium heat; turn off heat.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, whisk egg yolks and remaining 1/2 cup sugar on medium-high speed until thick and fluffy, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add half the milk mixture to egg-yolk mixture; whisk to blend. Stir into milk in pan; cook over medium-low heat, stirring with a wooden spoon, until mixture coats back of spoon, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Remove from heat, pour into a bowl, and place in an ice-water bath to chill, stirring often. Stir in candied ginger, vanilla, and lemon juice. Freeze in an ice-cream maker, following manufacturer's instructions. Serve topped with candied ginger strips, if desired.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.