Marinated Baby Artichokes
Martha Stewart Living, July 2001
- 2 pounds baby artichokes, tough leaves and stems removed
- 1 lemon
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 7 tablespoons white-wine vinegar
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh tarragon
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- Fill a large bowl with cold water; juice the lemon into the water; set aside. Halve artichokes; if they have any pink choke, trim it from the center, leaving artichoke half intact. Transfer artichokes to acidulated water.
- Bring a large saucepan of water to a boil over high heat. Drain artichokes, and add to boiling water. Reduce heat to medium; gently simmer artichokes until just tender, 5 to 7 minutes. Remove from boiling water, and drain; set aside.
- Make vinaigrette: In a medium bowl, whisk shallot, mustard, and vinegar. While whisking, slowly add oil. Stir in tarragon; season with salt and pepper. In a large bowl, toss artichokes with 1/2 cup vinaigrette; transfer to a serving dish. Strip leaves from one sprig of thyme, and sprinkle on artichokes. Use remaining sprigs for garnish. Serve artichokes with remaining vinaigrette on the side.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.