Buttermilk Mashed Potatoes
You can easily double this recipe if you're feeding a crowd.
Everyday Food, November 2003
- Prep Time 10 minutes
- Total Time 35 minutes
- Serves 4
- 1 1/2 pounds new potatoes (4 medium), peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons butter, cut into small pieces
- Snipped chives for garnish (optional)
- Place potatoes in a large saucepan; add enough cold water to cover by 2 inches. Bring to a boil; add 1 tablespoon salt, and cook until potatoes are very tender when pierced with the tip of a paring knife, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Drain; place in a large bowl. Mash with a potato masher, then add buttermilk and butter. Season with salt and pepper. Mash until smooth and combined. If desired, garnish with snipped chives.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.