Chicken with Artichokes
If you prefer, use fine-grain couscous, which will cook in less than five minutes.
Everyday Food, November 2005
- Prep Time 25 minutes
- Total Time 25 minutes
- Serves 1
- Boneless, skinless chicken breast half (6 ounces)
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 4 sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil, drained, and slivered
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup artichoke hearts packed in water, drained, rinsed, and halved
- 2 scallions, green and white parts separated, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup Israeli couscous (optional)
- Place chicken between 2 sheets of plastic wrap or waxed paper. With the flat side of a meat mallet or a small skillet, pound to a 1/2-inch thickness. To soften noise, place chicken in plastic on a folded kitchen towel when pounding.
- In a medium skillet, heat 3 teaspoons of the oil over medium-high heat. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Coat chicken in flour, shaking off excess. Saute until golden brown and cooked through, 1 1/2 to 2 minutes per side. Remove.
- To pan, add garlic, white part of the scallions, and 1/2 cup water; bring to a boil, scraping up browned bits. Add artichokes, sun-dried tomatoes, and remaining teaspoon oil; season with salt and pepper. Cook until artichokes are heated through and sauce has reduced slightly, about 1 minute. Spoon mixture over chicken.
- To make couscous, if desired: Bring a small pot of salted water to boil; add couscous. Boil until couscous is tender but still pleasantly chewy, about 10 minutes. Drain, toss with scallion greens, and serve alongside chicken.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.