Creamy Celery Soup
Choose crisp, tight bunches of celery that are free of dark spots. Or, if you prefer, buy bags of celery hearts that contain only the tender inner stalks.
Everyday Food, March 2006
- Prep Time 30 minutes
- Total Time 55 minutes
- Serves 4
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/2 pounds (12 to 15 large stalks) celery, sliced 1/2 inch thick crosswise (about 6 cups), leaves reserved for garnish
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 baking potato, (8 to 10 ounces),peeled and cut in 1/2 inch cubes
- Coarse salt
- 1 to 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Heat butter in a large (4-quart) saucepan over medium heat. Add celery, onion, and potato; season with salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables begin to soften, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add 6 cups water to saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium, and simmer until vegetables are very tender, about 20 minutes.
- Working in batches, puree soup until smooth. (To prevent splattering, fill blender only halfway, and allow the heat to escape: Remove cap from hole in lid; cover lid with a dish towel, holding down firmly while blending.) Return soup to pan; stir in lemon juice, and season with salt. Serve, garnished with celery leaves.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.