- 1 tablespoon butter, plus more for baking dish
- 8 slices (8 ounces) cinnamon-raisin bread
- 2 cups milk
- 3 ounces semisweet chocolate
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly butter an 11-by-7-inch (or 9-inch square) baking dish; set aside. Toast bread (in the oven or toaster) until lightly crisped.
- In a medium saucepan, combine milk, chocolate, and butter; place over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until chocolate has melted, about 5 minutes.
- Tear bread into large pieces (about 4 or 5 per slice); scatter evenly in prepared baking dish. In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, granulated sugar, and vanilla. Whisk in warm milk mixture until combined. Pour over bread.
- Bake until pudding has puffed and is firm, about 25 minutes. Cool at least 10 minutes, and dust with confectioners' sugar just before serving.
Using a cinnamon-raisin bread adds even more flavor to this chocolatey pudding.