If you don't have a cast-iron skillet, use a 9-inch square baking pan; cool bread in pan on a rack for 10 minutes, then invert and cool 10 minutes more before serving.
- Prep Time 10 minutes
- Total Time 35 minutes
- Serves 10
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups stone-ground yellow cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups low-fat buttermilk
- 1 medium pickled jalapeno chile, minced (about 2 tablespoons)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Put butter in a 9-inch cast-iron skillet; place in oven until butter is melted and pan is heated through, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, whisk cornmeal, sugar, baking soda, and salt; set aside. In a large bowl, whisk together eggs and buttermilk.
- Carefully remove hot skillet from oven; immediately pour butter into the buttermilk mixture, and whisk to combine. Using a pastry brush, coat bottom and sides of pan with remaining butter.
- Stir cornmeal mixture into buttermilk mixture until just moistened. Stir in jalapeno. Scrape batter into hot skillet; bake until golden, about 25 minutes. Let cool at least 10 minutes before slicing and serving.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.