Chopped Beet Salad with Feta and Pecans
We used several varieties of beets -- including golden globe and Chioggia -- for a colorful salad, but you may use any variety you like.
Martha Stewart Living, November 2001
- 1/2 cup pecans
- 4 bunches small beets (16 to 20 beets)
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped flat-leaf parsley, plus sprigs for garnish
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place pecans on a baking sheet, and toast until fragrant, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a bowl to cool. Coarsely chop, and set aside. Raise oven temperature to 450 degrees.
- Trim greens and long roots from beets. Wrap in 2 to 3 aluminum-foil packets, dividing beets according to size. Place in oven, and roast until tender, 45 to 60 minutes, depending on size of beets. Using paper towels to protect your hands, wipe the skins from the beets. Cut into wedges, and transfer to a serving bowl.
- Drizzle vinegar and olive oil over beets; toss to coat (beets can be made ahead). When ready to serve, add feta, parsley, pecans, and salt and pepper to taste; toss to combine. Garnish with parsley sprigs.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.