Smashed Red Potatoes
If you make the potatoes ahead of time, keep them warm by setting the pan over a double boiler or other pot of simmering water.
Martha Stewart Living, December/January 1999
- 1 pound small red potatoes
- 1 tablespoon salt, plus more to taste
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup milk
- Freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh flat-leaf parsley, roughly chopped
- Cut potatoes in half, and place in a 3-quart saucepan. Fill pan with cold water to cover potatoes by about 1 inch. When water begins to boil, add 1 tablespoon salt, and reduce heat to medium low. Cook until fork-tender, about 20 minutes.
- Drain potatoes. Return potatoes to the hot saucepan, add butter, milk, and salt and pepper to taste. Lightly smash potatoes, keeping some pieces intact. Mix in parsley, adjust seasoning, and serve.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.