Maple-Glazed Sweet Potatoes
This supremely simple dish is rich with the flavor of maple. Although it requires last-minute preparation, the recipe is easy enough to tackle no matter how many items are on your holiday menu.
- 3 medium sweet potatoes (1 1/2 to 2 pounds), scrubbed well
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup pure maple syrup
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- Small sprigs fresh thyme, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Slice each sweet potato in half lengthwise, and slice each half crosswise into 1-inch-thick half-moons.
- Melt butter in a large cast-iron or other ovenproof skillet over medium heat. Add sweet potatoes; toss to coat evenly. Add maple syrup; toss potatoes to coat, and bring to a boil.
- Transfer skillet to oven; cook, stirring occasionally, until potatoes are golden, well glazed, and tender when pierced with a paring knife, about 20 minutes. Remove from oven, and season with salt and pepper. Serve warm, garnished with thyme.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.