Vietnamese Dipping Sauce
This Vietnamese dipping sauce is the perfect accompaniment to our summer rolls recipe.
The Martha Stewart Show, May 2006
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 cup hot water
- 1/4 cup unseasoned rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon red chile sauce, such as sambal oelek
- 1 scallion, thinly sliced crosswise
- Juice of 1 lime
- On a work surface, crush garlic clove using the flat side of a large knife; sprinkle with salt. Place the flat side of the knife blade on top of the garlic and salt; press firmly, pulling knife toward you. Repeat until a paste forms; transfer to a small bowl.
- Stir sugar in hot water until dissolved, and add to bowl. Stir in remaining ingredients. Cover with plastic wrap, and chill in refrigerator until ready to use.
Store sauce in a refrigerator for up to 3 days.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.