- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds broccoli rabe, trimmed
- 3 tablespoons pine nuts
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook broccoli rabe until bright green, 45 to 60 seconds. Drain; set aside.
- Toast pine nuts in a skillet over medium heat, shaking skillet, until evenly golden brown, 4 to 5 minutes; remove from skillet. Heat oil in skillet. Add broccoli rabe; cook, tossing occasionally, until heated through, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Toss broccoli rabe with pine nuts and lemon zest. Season with salt and pepper. Serve hot.
On "Martha Stewart's Cooking School," Martha first cooked the thick stems of the broccoli rabe for 1 minute, then added the thinner stems and cooked them for 1 minute; the tops were added last and cooked until bright green, 30 to 45 seconds. The cooked broccoli rabe was immediately transferred to an ice-water bath until cooled, then drained.