Green Salad with Basic Vinaigrette
This Green Salad with Basic Vinaigrette is the perfect side dish to any meal.
The Martha Stewart Show, November Fall 2005
For the Green Salad
- 1 mixed greens, such as radicchio, chicory, endive, red leaf, and Boston lettuce
For the Basic Vinaigrette
- 1/4 cup vinegar, or fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar, (optional)
- 3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Clean lettuces by swishing them through a large bowl or sink filled with cool water. After you swish the greens, they will rise to the surface; the sand and sediment will fall to the bottom of the bowl or sink. Once the sand and sediment are washed away, lift greens from water and transfer to a salad spinner; spin until dry.
- Tear lettuces into bite-sized pieces. If you aren't going to use the greens immediately, wrap them in a clean kitchen towel, transfer to a plastic bag, and refrigerate.
- Next, make the vinaigrette. Combine vinegar, mustard, salt, pepper, and sugar if using, in a small jar; shake to blend. Add oil, and shake again until emulsified.
- For best results, use four parts greens to one part dressing and three parts oil to one part acid (vinegar, citrus juice, or a combination of both).
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.