Red Beans With Cheese
Martha Stewart Living, April 2006
- Prep Time 5 minutes
- Total Time 25 minutes
- Yield Serves 4
- 2 cans (19 ounces each) kidney beans (about 4 cups), drained and rinsed
- 2 cans (14 1/2 ounces each) low-sodium chicken stock (about 4 cups)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 medium onion, quartered
- 1 fresh jalapeno chile with seeds, quartered
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Coarse salt
- 1/4 cup grated cotija cheese
- Put beans, stock, bay leaves, onion, jalapeno, cumin, and 1/2 teaspoon salt into a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil. Reduce to a brisk simmer. Cook 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Strain, reserving 1/2 cup cooking liquid; discard onion, jalapeno, and bay leaves.
- Return beans and reserved cooking liquid to pan, and stir in 2 tablespoons cheese. Mash slightly with a potato masher until about half of the beans are broken down, leaving remaining beans whole. Season with salt, if desired. Cover with foil until ready to serve. Serve warm, sprinkled with remaining 2 tablespoons cheese.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.