Oatmeal Bars with Dates and Walnuts
Use a blender or food processor to grind the rolled oats; 1 1/4 cups rolled oats will yield 1 cup ground.
Martha Stewart Living, January
- 1 cup finely ground old-fashioned rolled oats
- 3/4 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1 1/2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 2 cups packed light-brown sugar
- 12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 3 large eggs
- 2 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups walnuts (5 1/2 ounces), toasted and chopped
- 1 cup dates (5 ounces), pitted and chopped
- Vegetable-oil cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Stir together ground oats, flour, 1 cup whole oats, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and allspice in a large bowl; set aside.
- Put brown sugar and butter in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Beat on medium speed until pale and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Mix in eggs and vanilla, scraping down sides of bowl as needed.
- Reduce speed to low. Add oat mixture, and mix until just combined. Mix in walnuts and dates.
- Coat a 9-by-13-inch baking dish with cooking spray. Spread batter evenly in dish. Scatter remaining 1/2 cup whole oats over top. Bake until golden and a cake tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 35 minutes. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack; cut into bars.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.