Red-Wine-Macerated Peaches, Berries, and Oranges
To omit the wine, toss the fruit with 1/4 cup sugar and let sit until thawed and juicy.
Everyday Food, September 2010
- Prep Time 10 minutes
- Total Time 20 minutes plus macerating
- Serves 4
- 1 cup fruity red wine, such as Cabernet Sauvignon
- 3/4 cup light-brown sugar
- 1 piece star anise
- 3 cups frozen peaches, unthawed
- 1 cup frozen blueberries, unthawed
- 1 cup frozen blackberries, unthawed
- 1 navel orange, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch-thick rounds
- In a small saucepan, combine red wine, brown sugar, and star anise and bring to a boil over medium-high. Reduce heat and simmer until thickened, about 10 minutes (you should have 1 cup).
- Arrange fruit in a 1 1/2-quart shallow dish. Discard star anise from wine mixture, then pour over fruit. Let sit at room temperature until fruit is thawed, about 1 hour.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.