Fried Oyster Rolls
Rebecca Charles is the chef and owner of Pearl Oyster Bar in New York City.
Martha Stewart Living, August 2003
- Vegetable, peanut, or canola oil, for frying
- 36 to 48 medium oysters, shucked
- 1 1/2 cup cracker meal
- 4 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- Coarse salt
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 6 Pepperidge Farm top-split hot dog buns
- Pearl Oyster Bar Tartar Sauce (http://www.marthastewart.com/260758/pearl-oyster-bar-tartar-sauce)
- In a deep saucepan, heat the oil to 350 degrees. Combine the cracker meal and flour in a shallow dish. Drain the oysters in a sieve, and add them to the cracker meal mixture one by one, keeping them separated. Dredge each oyster until well coated, shaking off any excess. Drop each oyster gently into the hot oil, and fry until golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel-lined baking sheet to drain. Sprinkle with salt.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Place hot dog buns on their sides, turning to coat with butter. Cook until evenly browned on both sides.
- Spread tartar sauce in the bottom of each bun. Top with fried oysters, and serve immediately.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.