Steak Aux Poivres
Serve this delicious steak from chef Pierre Schaedelin of Benoit with Sauteed Mixed Vegetables for a wonderfully romantic dinner for two.
The Martha Stewart Show, February Winter 2009
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 (10-ounce) boneless strip loin steaks, each about 1-inch thick
- Crushed black peppercorns
- Coarse salt
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons chopped shallots
- 1 tablespoon fresh green peppercorns in brine, drained and chopped
- 3 tablespoons Cognac, plus more as desired
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 cup demi-glace
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- Heat olive oil in a medium heavy-bottomed skillet over high until very hot. Season both sides of the steaks with peppercorns, pressing them into the surface of the steaks. Season steaks with salt and add to pan. Let cook, turning once, about 2 1/2 minutes per side for medium rare. Transfer steaks to a platter and let stand while you make the sauce.
- Pour off fat from skillet and add butter, swirling skillet, until butter is melted. Place skillet over medium-high heat and add shallots and green peppercorns; cook until shallots are translucent, about 1 minute. Remove from heat and carefully add cognac; return to heat and cook until skillet is almost dry, about 1 minute. Add wine and reduce until skillet is almost dry, about 1 minute.
- Add demi-glace and cook until reduced by half, about 2 minutes. Stir in cream and a dash of cognac, if desired. Place each steak on a plate; spoon sauce over steak and serve immediately.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.