Shrimp Scampi with Spaghetti
Martha Stewart Living, June 2004
- 20 jumbo shrimp
- 5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 1/4 medium white onion, chopped
- 4 garlic clove, sliced plus 1 clove, minced
- 1 1/2 cups dry white wine
- Coarse salt
- 1 pound spaghetti
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Peel shrimp, reserving shells and tails. Cut shrimp crosswise into thirds; set aside. Place shells and tails in a medium saucepan. Add 1 tablespoon oil, carrots, celery, onion, and minced garlic. Cook over medium-high heat for 1 minute. Add 1 cup of wine, and cook until reduced to about 1/3 cup. Strain through a fine sieve; discarding solids.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add salt and spaghetti, and cook until al dente, according to package directions.
- In a large straight-sided skillet, heat remaining 1/4 cup oil over medium-high heat. Add sliced garlic, and cook, stirring occasionally, until just beginning to turn golden brown. Add shrimp, and remaining 1/2 cup wine. Cook, stirring, until almost cooked through. Add strained cooking liquid, and cook until shrimp are just firm. Stir in butter and parsley.
- Drain spaghetti, and place on a serving platter. Top with shrimp mixture, and serve immediately.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.