Eli's Mozzarella, Tomato, and Basil Sandwiches
Eli Zabar, owner of The Vinegar Factory in New York City, believes that with only a few fresh ingredients, you can achieve a full-flavored sandwich. This is one of Eli's favorite recipes.
Source: Martha Stewart Living Television
- Yield Makes 3 to 4 sandwiches
- 1 loaf ficelle
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons corn oil
- 1 teaspoon sherry-wine vinegar
- 2 red or yellow tomatoes
- 8 half-inch slices fresh mozzarella
- 10 to 15 whole basil leaves
- Freshly ground pepper
- Slice ficelle loaf down the top center, taking care not to cut all the way through. Spread halves open.
- Make vinaigrette: In a small bowl, combine Dijon mustard and corn oil, and whisk until emulsified. Add sherry-wine vinegar. Whisk to combine.
- Layer tomatoes in pocket of bread. Layer mozzarella on top of tomatoes. Grind pepper over top of sandwich.
- Pour vinaigrette over tomatoes. Add basil leaves to top of sandwich. Cut sandwich into individual portions.
© 2015 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.