Bran and Currant Muffins
If you make extra muffins, wrap each one in foil and store them all in a plastic bag in the freezer. Defrost at room temperature overnight or in the oven before breakfast.
Martha Stewart Living, October 1994
- 3 tablespoons canola or vegetable oil, plus more for oiling pans
- 1 cup unprocessed wheat bran
- 1/2 cup prune juice
- 1/2 cup plain nonfat yogurt
- 1/2 cup currants
- 3 tablespoons unsulfured molasses
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Heat oven to 400 degrees. Lightly oil nine standard-size muffin cups, or line them with paper liners.
- Combine wheat bran, prune juice, yogurt, currants, molasses, oil, egg, and vanilla in a large mixing bowl. Let stand for 10 minutes.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a small bowl. Stir dry ingredients into the bran mixture just until dry ingredients are moistened. Do not overmix.
- Spoon batter into muffin cups, filling each about three-quarters full. Bake in the center of the oven for 20 minutes.
- Turn muffins out of the pan, and let them cool on a rack.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.