Spaghettini with Lemon Zest and Chives
Remember to zest only the outer layer of the lemon skin: The white pith has an unpleasant bitter flavor.
Everyday Food, March/April 2003
- Prep Time 10 minutes
- Total Time 20 minutes
- Yield Serves 4
- 1 pound spaghettini, or thin spaghetti
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 1 stick butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 cup ricotta salata cheese, or Parmesan, coarsely grated
- 2 tablespoons fresh chives, or scallion greens, thinly chopped
- Salt and pepper
- In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook 1 pound of spaghettini, or thin spaghetti, until al dente according to package instructions.
- Grate the zest of 1 lemon into a large pasta bowl. Juice the lemon, and add juice to the bowl. Stir in 1 stick butter, cut into small pieces, and 1 cup coarsely grated ricotta salata cheese or Parmesan.
- Add drained pasta to lemon sauce, and sprinkle in 2 tablespoons thinly chopped fresh chives or scallion greens. Season with salt and pepper. Toss well, and serve.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.