Bulgur Pilaf with Almonds and Dried Cranberries
To oven-toast almonds, preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spread almonds on a rimmed baking sheet. Toast, tossing occasionally, until golden, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from baking sheet, and let cool.
Everyday Food, October 2006
- Prep Time 20 minutes
- Total Time 35 minutes
- Serves 4
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 cup medium-grain bulgur
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- In a small skillet over medium heat, cook almonds, tossing occasionally, until golden, 4 to 5 minutes. Remove from skillet, and let cool. (Or use oven method; see note, below.) Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until beginning to brown, 6 to 8 minutes. Add bulgur; stir to coat.
- Add broth; season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to low. Cover saucepan, and simmer until liquid has evaporated and bulgur is tender, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat; sprinkle bulgur with cranberries. Cover, and set aside to steam, about 5 minutes.
- Add toasted almonds to bulgur; fluff with a fork. Serve.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.