- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 onions, finely chopped (3 cups)
- 3 carrots, finely chopped (1 cup)
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes in puree
- 1 cup milk
- 12 ounces spaghetti
- Finely grated Parmesan cheese, for serving
- Make sauce: In a Dutch oven (or 5-quart saucepan), heat oil over high heat. Add onions, carrots, and garlic; cook, stirring, until slightly softened, about 2 minutes. Add beef and pork; cook, breaking up meat with a spoon, until no longer pink, about 5 minutes. Stir in tomato paste; cook 1 minute. Season generously with salt and pepper.
- Add wine and tomatoes. Bring sauce to a simmer; cook, partially covered, stirring occasionally, until thickened, about 1 hour. Add milk; simmer until completely absorbed, about 15 minutes more. Season again with salt and pepper.
- When sauce is almost done, cook pasta in a pot of boiling salted water until al dente, according to package instructions; drain. Toss pasta with half the meat sauce; save remaining sauce for next day. Serve sprinkled with cheese.
Cool completely before refrigerating in an airtight container, up to 2 days.