- 2 cucumbers, ends trimmed, cut into 1/8-inch-thick rounds
- 4 carrots, peeled and cut into 1/8-inch-thick pieces
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup white-wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- In a large glass jar or bowl, arrange alternating layers of cucumbers and carrots. In a small saucepan, combine sugar, vinegar, the water, salt, mustard seeds, celery seeds, and peppercorns. Bring mixture to a boil over medium-high heat; cook, stirring constantly, just until sugar dissolves.
- Remove from heat; pour mixture over vegetables, and let cool completely. Cover tightly, and refrigerate at least 24 hours before serving.
Pickled vegetables can be stored in refrigerator up to 1 week.