Burritos with Squash and Goat Cheese
Tailor the flavor of these burritos by picking a salsa that pleases your palate. Choose a chipotle variety for smokiness or a spicy tomatillo one for heat.
Everyday Food, December 2008
- Prep Time 20 minutes
- Total Time 20 minutes
- Serves 4
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil, such as safflower
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen cooked winter squash, thawed
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen leaf spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 4 flour tortillas (10-inch)
- 5 ounces fresh goat cheese, crumbled
- 1/2 cup store-bought salsa, plus more for serving
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium. Add onion, garlic, and cumin; cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is tender, 5 to 6 minutes.
- Add squash, and cook, stirring occasionally, until mixture is slightly thickened, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in beans and spinach. Cook until warmed through, 4 to 6 minutes; season with salt and pepper, and set aside.
- Stack tortillas, and wrap in a double layer of damp paper towels; microwave until hot, about 2 minutes. Place tortillas on a work surface. Spoon goat cheese, then salsa in a line down center of each tortilla.
- Spoon bean mixture on top of salsa. Fold side of tortilla closest to you over filling, then fold right and left sides in toward center; tightly roll up burrito. Cut burritos in half, and serve with more salsa.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.