Sausages with Kale and White Beans
Combine vitamin-packed leafy greens with fiber-rich beans for a nutritional one-two punch. To lighten up the meal, substitute chicken sausages for pork.
Everyday Food, September Fall 2007
- Prep Time 25 minutes
- Total Time 25 minutes
- Yield Serves 4
- 1 large bunch kale (1 1/4 to 1 1/2 pounds)
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 1/2 pounds sweet Italian sausages (about 8 links)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 can (15 ounces) cannellini beans
- 2 tablespoons white-wine vinegar
- Remove thick stems from kale and discard. Coarsely chop kale; wash and dry. Peel and thinly slice garlic.
- Heat broiler, with rack set 4 inches from heat. With a fork, pierce sausages all over; place on a broilerproof rimmed baking sheet. Broil, turning occasionally, until browned and cooked through, 8 to 10 minutes.
- While sausages are cooking, heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high. Add kale, garlic, and 1/2 cup water; season with salt and pepper. Cover skillet and cook, tossing occasionally, until kale is wilted and tender, 10 to 12 minutes. Drain and rinse beans; add to skillet along with vinegar. Cook uncovered, tossing gently, until beans are heated through, 1 to 2 minutes.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.