Stir-Fried Turkey in Lettuce Wraps
To serve the wraps as sandwiches, tuck them into a split, scooped-out baguette. Fish sauce is found in the international aisle of most supermarkets.
Everyday Food, January 2010
- Prep Time 20 minutes
- Total Time 20 minutes
- Yield Serves 4
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 4 teaspoons fish sauce
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 large shallot, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced peeled fresh ginger
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 small jalapeno or serrano chile, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 pound ground turkey (93 percent lean)
- 2 large heads Bibb, Boston, or iceberg lettuce, leaves separated
- In a small bowl, combine soy sauce, fish sauce, and sugar and stir until sugar dissolves. Set sauce aside.
- Heat a large skillet or wok over high until hot. Add oil and swirl to coat skillet. Add shallot, ginger, garlic, and chile and stir until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add turkey and cook, breaking up meat with a wooden spoon, until almost cooked through, 5 minutes. Add half the sauce to skillet and stir until meat is cooked through, about 2 minutes. Serve in lettuce leaves with remaining sauce.
You can substitute any ground meat -- pork, chicken, or beef -- in this dish.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.