Beef and Tomato Stew
Everyday Food, April 2010
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds chuck roast, cut into 1/2- to 3/4-inch pieces
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 3 cups Whole Roasted Tomatoes (http://www.marthastewart.com/259330/whole-roasted-tomatoes)
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 wide strips orange zest
- 1 pound shallots (about 10), halved if large
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large Dutch oven or heavy pot, heat oil over medium-high. Season meat with salt and pepper. In batches, cook until brown on all sides, about 12 minutes per batch. Transfer browned meat to a platter.
- Return meat to pot. Add tomato paste and cook, stirring, until fragrant, 30 seconds. Add flour and cook, stirring, 30 seconds. Add tomatoes, bay leaf, orange zest, and 1 cup water. Bring to a boil. Cover, transfer to oven, and cook 45 minutes. Remove from oven and stir in shallots. Return to oven and cook until meat and shallots are tender, about 45 minutes.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.