Whipped Sweet Potatoes with Caramelized Apples
A topping of caramelized diced apples makes a beautiful presentation, but also works wonderfully with the flavor of the sweet mash -- so well that nobody will miss the standard mini marshmallows.
- 4 large sweet potatoes, pierced with the tines of a fork
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1/2 cup applesauce, preferably homemade
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh peeled ginger
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 2 apples (1 pound), peeled, cored, and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Arrange potatoes on a baking sheet lined with parchment. Bake until tender, 1 hour 10 minutes to 1 hour 20 minutes. Remove from oven; let stand until cool enough to handle.
- Cut each potato lengthwise. Scoop flesh into the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment; discard skins. Add 2 tablespoons butter and the cream; mix on medium speed until smooth. Mix in applesauce and ginger; season with salt and pepper.
- Transfer potato mixture to an ovenproof dish. Bake until heated through, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, toss apples with sugar in a bowl. Melt remaining 2 tablespoons butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add apple mixture; cook, stirring occasionally, until apples are golden and caramelized, about 10 minutes.
- Remove potato mixture from oven; top with caramelized apples, and serve.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.