Ice Cream with Strawberries and Red Wine
Photography: ANN STRATTON
Martha Stewart Living, June 1996
- 2 pints strawberries, stems removed
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup dry red wine
- One 3-inch-long cinnamon stick
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, or to taste
- 1 pint vanilla ice cream, slightly softened
- 4 sprigs fresh mint, for garnish
- If strawberries are small, cut in half; if large, cut in quarters.
- Combine sugar, red wine, and cinnamon stick in a large skillet; cook over medium-high heat until sugar dissolves, about 3 minutes.
- Add strawberries and pepper; cook until berries soften slightly, 4 to 5 minutes. Remove from heat, discard cinnamon stick, and divide berries and sauce among dishes; serve with vanilla ice cream and a sprig of mint, if desired.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.