Summer Slaw with Poppy Seed Dressing
Fennel, green beans, and poppy seeds make for an unexpected variation on traditional coleslaw.
Martha Stewart Living, June/July 1994
- 3 tablespoons creme fraiche or sour cream
- 1 1/2 inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 2 1/2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 1 scant teaspoon poppy seeds
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 small carrots
- 1 small bulb (about 1/2 pound) fennel
- 1/4 pound green beans, trimmed
- In a small bowl, whisk together creme fraiche or sour cream, ginger, orange juice, and half the poppy seeds. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Refrigerate until needed.
- Peel and julienne carrots. Slice fennel bulb crosswise, as thinly as possible. Cut beans into long strips. Combine vegetables in a medium bowl and toss with dressing immediately before serving. Garnish with remaining poppy seeds.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.