This recipe for roasted peppers is courtesy of Andrew Carmellini ("Urban Italian") and can be used to make Chicken Leg Cacciatore.
The Martha Stewart Show, January Winter 2009
- 6 red or yellow bell peppers, halved lengthwise, stemmed, seeded, and ribs removed
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat broiler with a rack set in the center of the oven.
- Place peppers in a large bowl and add olive oil; toss to coat and season with salt and pepper. Place peppers, skin side up, on a baking sheet. Transfer to oven and broil for 5 minutes. Rotate baking sheet and continue to broil until skin is black and blistery, about 5 minutes more.
- Transfer peppers to a large bowl and cover with plastic wrap; let peppers steam for 20 minutes. Using your fingers, peel off blackened skin. Cut peppers as desired and place in an airtight container, along with their liquids.
Keep refrigerated until ready to use, up to 1 week.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.