Oven-Roasted Asparagus and Leeks
If thick asparagus is unavailable, use thin spears, and adjust the cooking time; thin asparagus will cook faster.
Martha Stewart Living, May 1998
- 6 medium leeks
- 20 thick asparagus spears (about 1 pound)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Balsamic vinegar (optional)
- Trim each leek at the root end, making sure the stalk stays intact, then cut off the top where the green part begins. Cut leeks in half lengthwise. Immerse in a bowl of cold water to loosen any sand or grit. Rinse under cold running water, and pat dry.
- Heat oven to 400 degrees. Trim tough ends from asparagus. In a large bowl, combine asparagus and leeks. Drizzle olive oil over vegetables, and toss to coat. Add salt, and season with pepper; toss to combine.
- Place vegetables in a heavy roasting pan, and transfer to oven. Roast until vegetables start to turn brown and are fork tender, about 25 minutes. Remove pan from oven, and set on heat-proof surface until vegetables are cool enough to eat. When ready to serve, drizzle with balsamic vinegar, if desired.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.