Spaghetti with Sweet Sausage and Cabbage
Sweet Italian sausage and tender sauteed cabbage transform spaghetti into a sophisticated meal that's suited to the season's cool weather.
Everyday Food, November 2008
- Prep Time 25 minutes
- Total Time 35 minutes
- Serves 4
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 8 ounces spaghetti
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 pound sweet Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 large red onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 head Savoy or green cabbage (about 2 pounds), halved, cored, and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon white-wine vinegar
- In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta until al dente. Reserve 1 cup pasta water; drain pasta, and return to pot. Set aside.
- While pasta is cooking, heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high. Add sausage; cook, breaking up with a wooden spoon, until browned and cooked through, 4 to 6 minutes. With a slotted spoon, transfer sausage to a plate; set aside (reserve skillet with rendered fat).
- To skillet, add onion, 2 tablespoons water, and as much cabbage as will fit; season with salt and pepper. Cover; cook until tender, tossing occasionally and adding more cabbage as space becomes available, 6 to 10 minutes.
- To pasta, add cabbage mixture and sausage. Toss with enough pasta water to create a sauce. Season with salt and pepper, and stir in vinegar.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.