Martha Stewart Living, June 1999
- 1 teaspoon canola or vegetable oil
- 3 shallots, diced
- 1 cup red wine
- 1/4 cup Homemade Chicken Stock (http://www.marthastewart.com/261561/homemade-chicken-stock), or canned low-sodium chicken broth, skimmed of fat
- 1/4 cup <u>Homemade Beef Stock</u>, veal broth, or canned low-sodium beef broth, skimmed of fat
- 3/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary leaves
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 rounded cup dried mission figs, quartered
- Place a medium skillet over medium heat and, when it is hot, add the oil. Add the shallots, and cook until they are softened, about 3 minutes. Deglaze with the red wine, and reduce by half. Add the broths and vinegar, and reduce by half. Add the rosemary and sugar.
- Lower the heat to low, and cook until the sugar has melted, 3 to 5 minutes. Add the figs, and cook, stirring occasionally, until they are rehydrated, about 10 to 12 minutes. Cook until the mixture has the consistency of a liquidy jam, 10 to 12 minutes. Use immediately; or cover, and refrigerate up to 5 days.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.