Roquefort Butter and Red Pear Tea Sandwiches
The red skins of the pears are a colorful accent to these simple tea sandwiches. Use the Roquefort butter in other combinations such as with watercress or thinly sliced tomato.
Martha Stewart Living, April 2002
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 red pear, cored and very thinly sliced
- 4 ounces Roquefort cheese, crumbled
- 1/4 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 16 thin slices white bread or brioche
- Combine lemon juice and the water in a small bowl; immerse sliced pears until ready to use to prevent discoloration. Blot dry with paper towels before using.
- In a medium bowl, gently stir Roquefort into butter, leaving small bits of cheese. Be careful not to overmix, or the butter will turn blue. Add pepper.
- Spread a thin layer of Roquefort butter on two slices of bread. Line one with pears, overlapping slightly, and top with the other bread slice. Use a serrated knife to trim crusts and cut into three rectangles (about 1 by 3 inches). Repeat with remaining ingredients. Cover with damp paper towels until ready to serve.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.