Simple Poached Salmon
A beautifully poached piece of salmon is clean tasting and light. There's only one rule: Don't overcook.
Everyday Food, June 2009
- Prep Time 10 minutes
- Total Time 25 minutes
- Yield Serves 4
- 2 carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 celery stalk, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 small onion, peeled and halved
- 1/2 lemon, thinly sliced
- Coarse salt
- 4 skinless salmon fillets (6 ounces each and about 1 inch thick)
- In a large, deep, straight-sided skillet or heavy pot, combine carrots, celery, onion, lemon, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, and 6 cups water. Bring to a boil; reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook 8 minutes.
- Season salmon with salt and gently lower into simmering liquid (liquid should just cover fish). Reduce to a very gentle simmer. Cover and cook until salmon is opaque throughout, about 5 minutes (longer for thicker fillets). Using a wide slotted spatula, remove salmon from liquid.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.