Minted Poached Peaches
You can reserve the syrup to poach other fruits, such as nectarines. Store in the refrigerator and simply top off with a little water as needed.
Everyday Food, July/August 2009
- Prep Time 20 minutes
- Total Time 20 minutes, plus cooling
- Serves 6
- 6 firm, ripe peaches
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 vanilla bean, split (or 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract)
- 2 strips lemon zest
- 1 large mint sprig, plus more for serving
- 4 cups water
- Using a paring knife, lightly score an X into bottom of peaches (this will help with peeling later). In a large saucepan, combine sugar, vanilla, lemon zest, mint, and water. Cook over medium, stirring occasionally, until sugar has dissolved, about 2 minutes.
- Add peaches and enough water to cover. Bring to a bare simmer, and cook, turning occasionally, until peaches are easily pierced with a skewer, 6 to 10 minutes, depending on ripeness of peaches.
- Remove peaches with a slotted spoon; let cool slightly. Using a paring knife, peel peaches; return to syrup. Serve with mint sprigs.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.