Buttermilk Panna Cotta with Strawberries
- 2 cups nonfat buttermilk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons powdered unflavored gelatin
- 2/3 cup heavy cream
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 pint strawberries, hulled and quartered
- In the top of a double boiler (not over heat), sprinkle gelatin over 1 cup buttermilk; let stand to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring cream and scant 1/2 cup sugar to a boil. Add to gelatin mixture. Place over simmering water; whisk until gelatin dissolves, 5 minutes. Stir in remaining cup buttermilk. Pass mixture through a cheesecloth-lined strainer. Divide among 6 four-ounce ramekins or small bowls on a baking sheet. Cover; refrigerate until set, 4 hours.
- Meanwhile, sprinkle strawberries with remaining sugar; let stand about 1 hour.
- Unmold by dipping ramekins briefly into hot water and running tip of a knife around edges; invert onto plates, and serve with strawberries and their juice.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.